Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Changing Looks

So I just wanted to make a brief post about changing your wardrobe and look in general. Right now I think it has mostly been pretty positive. Most comments are "You look very nice today", although many are inevitably followed up with questions as to whether I had some sort of meeting/presentation today or any particular reason. I expect those to taper off as people get used to seeing it more and more. But it is inevitable. We live in a pretty casual world and academia is, in general, a pretty casual place. Yes lots of your profs wore jackets and ties I am sure, but you'll notice that is mostly your older profs. Academia doesn't really have rules about this sort of thing, so people wear whatever they want and feel comfortable in.

As a grad student most of my peers are quite relaxed about it well. Jeans and t-shirts dominate here just as they do in your average class room. It's not a bad thing, I'm not one of those people who thinks everyone should dress less casually although I think a lot of people could do with taking some more pride in their appearance.

Everyone is going to have their own style, I actually like the diversity in style I see walking down a street today compared to 50 or 60 years ago. So when you break from the casual trend and start pushing it to a little more "snappy" you will get some odd remarks once in awhile, but it comes with the territory.

That said I am still mostly wearing jeans, and thats ok. I hope to augment my wardrobe with more trousers and pants over the next few months but finding ones I like has been a slower process then it has been with shirts and jackets.

No comments:

Post a Comment