Monday, April 12, 2010

The Art of Manliness

As I mentioned in my welcome post I owe a big thank you to the contribuots and members on the website The Art of Manliness, which I have added to my blog roll along with An Affordable Wardrobe.

The Art of Manliness is a site dedicated to the "retrosexual" (name somewhat tongue in cheek) and a resurgence in the fashion sensibilities and manners of an earlier generation (for most of us that being our grandfathers and the middle of the previous century). The most obvious example of this style seen on TV today being, of course, the excellent TV show Mad Men.

I want to stress, as do most in this community, that this movement (if you will) isn't about bringing about everything from that period. We are better for leaving behind the horrible discrimination of the past. Sexism, racism, and discrimination of any kind have no place in the modern world.

What this is about is bringing back good manners, the art of dressing well, and an appreciation of rugged simplicity and quality workmanship.

Just want to give props where it is due and direct readers to that great site. I don't agree with the opinions of everyone, or of every post, but overall the site has been a wealth of information. A lot of what I say here may very well have been said better and in much more detail there (or elsewhere on the web), but this blog is more about my own personal journey in changing my life. I also intend on touching on health and fitness topics where appropriate as that has been a major component of what I am doing as well. Losing a lot of weight has also provided a great excuse for totally changing my closet as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment